The path to a healthy lifestyle starts in childhood, when learning about healthy choices and developing healthy food and physical activity preferences can have tremendous impact. Learning healthy habits from the start is much easier than trying to break unhealthy habits later in life! To help support your ongoing efforts to teach students about being healthy, NEA Healthy Futures and Nestlé created the Healthy Steps for Healthy Lives® (HSHL) series. We encourage after-school programs, youth service organizations, and families can to use these engaging, research-based HSHL materials too.
HSHL in the Classroom
HSHL is tied to national curriculum standards in all academic content areas for grades K-6. The instructional activities featured in the guides are easy to use, and practical to carry out while involving students in the learning process. The activities are grouped by the three Healthy Steps for Healthy Lives themes – THINK Healthy, EAT Healthy and MOVE Healthy. You can use one or all of the themes in any order that you like. Use the Healthy Steps for Healthy Lives resources to:
- Reinforce skills learned in a nutrition unit taught earlier in the year or in previous years
- Supplement direct instruction and promote concept development about nutrition and physical activity
- Integrate the topic of health into a language arts or math lessons
- Motivate students to learn about being healthy
- Expose students to concepts about health
- Link multiple activities in succession to develop your own unit
Getting to Know the Materials
There are two Healthy Steps for Healthy Lives Kits available; one for Grades K-3 and one for Grades 3-6. Each kit contains a Teacher’s Guide, Food Cards, and a MyPlate poster. Each HSHL Teacher’s Guide contains background information and hands-on instructional activities aligned to the National Health Education Standards and Common Core State Standards.
Help students learn how to THINK, EAT and MOVE HEALTHY!